Collins Statement on Pelosi’s Liberal Wish List
WASHINGTON — Rep. Doug Collins (R-Ga.) released the following statement after voting against H.R. 6800, Speaker Pelosi's $3 trillion liberal wish list.
“Rather than calling the House of Representatives back to Washington to negotiate bipartisan legislation to help the American people suffering from the current pandemic, Speaker Pelosi chose to draft a $3 trillion liberal wish list in secrecy with zero input from Republicans. This legislation is nothing more than a partisan messaging bill that has no chance of becoming law, and it’s wrong for Democrats to exploit this crisis for purely political purposes.
“In times of crisis, Americans look to our leaders for guidance. That’s exactly why the People’s House should be in Washington working to hold China accountable, reopen our economy safely, and help our nation recover from this crisis. The American people deserve better than an 1,800-page wish list drafted behind closed doors.”
H.R. 6800, the HEROES Act, includes:
- $915 billion to bailout state, local, and tribal governments
- $25 billion bailout for the Postal Service
- $10 million for National Endowment for the Arts
- $10 million for National Endowment for the Humanities
- Allows illegal immigrants to receive direct stimulus payments
- Provides a tax break for millionaires and billionaires by repealing SALT limitations for 2020 and 2021
- Federalizes elections by including stringent mandates on how states must run elections, including no ID requirement for in-person voting
- Provides a 100 percent subsidy to cover an individual’s premium costs for COBRA continuation coverage or a furloughed worker’s employer-sponsored coverage premium costs without Hyde protections to ensure that no federal funds are used to provide abortion services